Friday, October 2, 2009

Enchilada Casserole

Some while back, I started cooking multiple meals on Sunday afternoons. Probably about the time that I started back to school, especially while taking my upper level Economic courses - seems my brain just needed the break from regression, time series analysis, and stats in general. And, it has been such a joy to end the day with a meal ready to eat in the freezer - waiting to be popped in the oven or microwave for a fresh meal for the family.

This week, I cooked a big pot of chicken stew...which my recipe varies from time to time.

And, I made my Mother's wonderful ENCHILADA CASSEROLE!
This dish has been one of my families favorites, and was a hit when I was a kid too.

Give it a try - it is easy, great to make in a double recipe and will freeze and re-heat well!

Meat mixture:
brown 1 lb hamburger meat (I have used chopped up cooked chicken for this recipe also)

add in, and cook meat mixture until well seasoned:
1 can tomatoes (I use Rotel instead)
2 cans tomato sauce
1 Tbls chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic

Cheese Sauce:
Melt together on low heat:
1 lb Velveeta cheese
1 can green chilies
1 jar pimentos
1 large can evaporated milk
1 can cream of chicken soup

More stuff needed:
1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1/2 c chopped onions (I cheat and use frozen)
about 2 dozen flour tortillas

Layer in casserole dish: Meat sauce, tortillas dipped in cheese sauce, onions, grated cheese…repeat until all used. Top off with large amount of grated cheese, and Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes until cheese melts.

Serve with Chips and Salsa, or dinner rolls....mmm...speaking of dinner rolls - I have a special recipe I will share next!

No comments:

Post a Comment