Friday, October 9, 2009

Taco Soup on a cool fall day


Yum...just finished the easy version of taco soup...and the smell is just fantastic! This is my easy, fast version for days when I need to whip up a good meal with little time and effort. I never know exactly what will end up in the soup, but here is my staple recipe:


1 pound of Ground meat (beef, turkey, or chicken) - (today I used beef and doubled the recipe for freezer containers next week!)
1 Onion, chopped fine (about a cup full - today I cheated and used frozen chopped seasoning blend with green, red, yellow peppers and onion)
1 can Rotel or stewed tomatoes (I prefer Hot Rotel)
1 can of chopped green chilies
1 can pinto of black beans (or cooked dry beans)
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 pkg of dry seasoning Hidden Valley Ranch
1 pkg of taco seasoning ( I use the Hot version)
1 can of hominy (I prefer yellow - but can use white)
2 TBS ground cumin
Juice of about 1/4 of a lime


Brown meat and add onions until soft... add other ingredients, including juice in the cans, and heat through. Simmer until the flavors blend. Serve topped with grated cheese, avocado slices, sour cream, and/or black olives. I usually have yellow corn tortillas on hand and will slice them into narrow pieces and fry them in oil for a crispy topping! This soup freezes great - makes for an easy meal ready to heat and eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment